Friday, July 6, 2012

White Wolf Lodge, Yosemite


Life has taken a new turn.

I now work(!) at White Wolf Lodge. It's a High Sierra camp in Yosemite. Outside The Valley, but inside the park. I'm at about 7,800 FT. ASL and I work as a “camp helper”. My duties include dishwashing, housekeeping, serving and other odd jobs as may be required by the camp.
It's a pretty fun job, mostly because I enjoy the company of my coworkers, and because I'm still situated in the park.

I'm meeting people, making friends, and I'm not worried about my finances as much as I have been.
All in all, I'm happy with the change, although I don't actually like devoting such a large portion of time to a job, or to work, which does not directly benefit me. After nearly 11 months of job-free freedom, it's taken some grit on my part to adapt to the demands of waking up early and doing things when I don't feel like it. I don't request your sympathy—I'm only observing the facts.
A little more freedom will be nice, and I still have a plan to achieve that.
I'm not sure how long I will work in the park, but the job I have now will definitely end September 10, so I know I will be making another change at that time.

I'm still climbing, but the climbing by White Wolf is sparse and mediocre. I hitch-hike into the valley on my weekends to boulder, and I'm enjoying the climbing much more for what it is, with less expectations.
Now that I'm working, I'm just appreciative of being able to climb some good rocks, instead of feeling like I need to be pushing grades. Now it's more about just trying to tick a lot of problems and see some different spots.

Although I'm not climbing as much, I'm running more, and I like that I'm running at a higher altitude than I have before.
I'm hoping to make some major progress in my running fitness while I'm at White Wolf.

Other than that, there isn't a lot to update.

I don't have internet, and there is no cell phone reception (not that I have a phone) at White Wolf, so the only time I can connect is when I head down the mountains (east or west).
We do have electricity, but it's generator generated and that's only from 6AM-11PM, and only in common areas.
I'm living in a tent cabin with a roommate. We have a wood burning stove for heat, and it was necessary a couple weeks ago, but now the temperatures are very mild and pleasant.

I know this is all very matter-of-fact but I just wanted to get an update out since it has been a while.
I'm planning on writing something a little more imaginative for a later post.  

2 comments:

  1. Curtis--

    Congrats on gaining gainful employment. Speaking of which, Sagar and I are recently unemployed. Sugar daddy??!

    -Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Curtis,
    This is great! If you had a digital camera I'd ask for sunrise or sunset pictures with dramatic skies... because I'd love to make a lithophane for you.
    Those tent cabins look great!
    Mark

    ReplyDelete