Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Treatise On My Personal Freedom

My day to day act of living—my life—is divorced in many ways from the cultural mores of the American culture in which I dwell. My priorities are not those of a large and populous group. I do not pursue prototypical goals in generically prescribed manners. I wish not to define myself such to fit into either a word or a group.

I understand where people are coming from (or why they hold their beliefs). Much in the same way a historian can trace the decline and fall of an empire or a civilization I can see and understand, but that does not make me a part of that world. Surely there is a point where I am invited into society and I must accept the invitation in order for full integration to be complete. Conversely, if I am born into a society, is it not my right to reject my place? At what point am I ever truly compelled to perform a work, a service, or a duty to anyone or any entity because I was born into a place? That sounds like slavery to me, but I am free.

Recognizing that I am free, I also allow that to reject a place in society but to dwell among it is to live at its collective charity. However, if I do so willingly, and the society allows me to, then the situation can hardly be criticized. I will exploit this society as long as it allows me to. At such a time that I am prevented or no longer allowed to use its benefits I would hold no ill will and would agree that it is a fair course. 

I think the constructive thought process of the unbiased observer would be to ask what would make a person desire to reject a culture and all its attendant and implied benefits. A less constructive thought process would seek to remedy the symptom of that desire, which is the parasitic nature of my existence within society.
I recognize that to overtly break laws or rules is to jeopardize my physical freedom. Therefore; I seek to preserve as much freedom for myself without compromising my values as much as possible. I do this through conformance, and it is a compromise I am willing to make within my value system. Yet I am determined never to lose my freedom of thought, and my freedom of action, or inaction. The locus of perception is within me. Therefore, the feelings of duty, responsibility or obligation all originate in my mind. Acknowledging this, it is within my power to control what I feel I must or must not do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment